MA Automatic Thermal Shutoff Gas Codes
We, at Teco Americas, are pleased to say that the FireBag® meets the Massachusetts Plumbers and Gas Fitters’ code and that it has been approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters.Massachusetts leads the nation, requiring automatic-thermally activated gas shutoffs for natural gas. The natural gas automatic thermal shutoffs are reviewed by the Mass. Board of Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters. To obtain approval, products must be tested using industry accepted standards to ensure they are safe and work as designed for public use.
In order to provide more information and clarification about these Massachusetts codes and regulations, we are happy to present them as they apply upstream of the gas meter and downstream of the meter.
Upstream of the Gas Meter
Massachusetts requires an automatic gas shutoff device for gas meters installed inside a dwelling. The Massachusetts regulations that apply to natural gas lines prior to the meter are defined by Chapter 164 section 75A of the Mass General Laws and are enforced by the Commonwealth of MA Department of Public Utilities.
Downstream of the Gas Meter
There are no current regulations requiring automatic gas shutoffs downstream of the meter in Massachusetts. However, automatic gas shutoffs are permitted to be installed at any gas appliance, as long as the product has been approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters and follow the MA Plumbers and Gas Fitters’ code, as incorporated in the Massachusetts Fuel Gas and Plumbing Code MA CMR 248.
International Standards for Automatic Gas Shutoffs
In addition to the Massachusetts Board of Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters approval, the FireBag® is certified for international and thermal gas shutoff standards, including:
- DIN 3586 thermo activated safety device for gas applications
- European UNI EN 1775 Standard for indoor gas installations
- European Directive 90/396/CEE certification for durability in mechanical or thermal stress
- German DVGW TRGI 86/96 Standard for thermo activated locking systems on gas heaters, water heaters & domestic gas fittings
- German Standard Muster-Feuerverordnung (FeuVo v. 02/95 – edition 09/97) for thermo activated devices
- Italian UNI 7129 Ed 2001 Standard for fire protection and gas supply line components
For More Information
More information on the FireBag® Thermal Activated Gas Shutoff device can be found at:
- FireBag® Product Page
- FireBag® for the Home: Information on Home Use
- FireBag® for Industry: Information on Industrial Use
- Datasheet View a Downloadable PDF
- Cross Section: View a Cross Section of the FireBag
- Animation: View the FireBag Animation
- FireBag Installation Manual
Liberty Sales and Distribution, LLC
2880 Bergey Road, Suite F
Hatfield, PA 19440
Phone: (877) 373-0118
Fax: (888) 850-3787